Sunday, February 14, 2010

Push and Dark City on Blu-ray

Some critics complain that superhero flicks are too simplistic; Push got knocked for being too complicated. I guess there’s no pleasing some folks. With Dark City I’ve read that Alex Proyas and his actors did the ‘displaced thing’ all too well, to the point where they were not relate-able. I don’t understand that sentiment - I must be so well acquainted with feeling lost and unsure that I was able to relate a lot to the characters and found it the films strength. Never the less, I’m not interested in making this my bully pulpit. These are not intended as put downs, it’s just an example of the wide landscape of taste and expectation. Not every film is for everybody but these two were right for me.

Neither film is pure superhero per say. No one in Push dons tights to fight crime. Dark City does have a character come to power, but is viewed more as sci-fi horror. Both though, do have comic book elements that appeal to me. I recently found both on sale on blu-ray and put in an order.

The Push disc didn’t provide any new extras from the DVD, it simply delivers a stunning picture. I loved the look of this film. The cinematography had a grainy, indie feel to it and though I could be wrong, it doesn’t look like they tried to smooth it out through DNR - the details and facial characteristics (pores, moles and other marks) seem intact. Plus I didn’t see any compression issues. So it’s a good-looking release, and as for the story - I enjoy that it’s complicated, that it forces me to think and pay attention This factor keeps things fresh on repeat viewings too.

Dark City: As you would guess, it’s a very dark picture but the blacks look good. Color and detail is crisper and truer than on the DVD release. I did notice some compression, but it was so minor as to not be an issue. The great thing is that this disc includes both the theatrical and directors cut. I'm not happy, for example, that Underworld is only available in the inferior extended cut. Would it have hurt them to include both versions, like the producers of Dark City did? In addition that that, this blu-ray releases is packed with informative extras and several commentaries (on both versions).

The director’s cut offers a pop up option, which guides you through the changes made (something I was curious about), and I have to say, as much as I loved the theatrical, the new version is even better. It amps up the mystery so nicely that I wish this was the way I could have watch the movie from the start. I love the sense of discovery and illumination on a mystery, which was all but lost with the studio mandated intro on the original cut (now removed on the director’s)

Dark City is an evocative tale; it’s loaded with style and substance. The look and direction is stunning, the score adds to the surreal atmosphere. I am also moved by these peoples plight, even more so on the new edit. For example: In the director’s cut Jennifer Connelly singing vocals are restored. Her voice isn’t strong but that’s the way it should be. She isn’t supposed to be a singer, these people probably aren’t supposed to be together… everything is off kilter and this adds to the sense of loss, as well as dread and the need to set things right (or as right as they can be). I don’t know why others found this film and story remote, because it touched me deeply and I number it as one of my all time favorites

My original review for Push.

No comments:

Post a Comment